Nicholas Update – 4/29

Hi everyone –

Hopefully I have all of my mailing issues sorted out, and everyone that should be getting this message is now getting it – even the AOL users.  Sorry it’s been so long since the last “official” update, but as you can imagine it’s been an interesting (and time consuming) transition to parenthood.

For those of you who were not aware or got shorted on the first email, Nicholas was born on March 31 at 4:12 AM, 7 lbs 11 oz.  He’s been home since April 2.

We had our 1-month checkup this past Wednesday, and told our pediatrician how challenging it was to feed him.  After demonstrating the feeding ritual to the doctor, her response was “that’s not right.”  After some additional examination and an x-ray, we made the trek to St. Vincents Children’s Hospital here in Indianapolis, where they did a few more tests – where they discovered why feeding was so challenging.  Nicholas had a tracheoesophageal fistula – in English, there was a little connection between his windpipe and esophagus that shouldn’t be there.  It causes food stuff to go into the windpipe, and air to get into the food pipe.  In other words, he choked violently when feeding and was immensely gassy.  Either way, not a very comfortable little boy.

He had surgery on Thursday afternoon, and went pretty much according to plan.  He’s got some swelling in his windpipe (more around his voicebox as opposed to where the surgical repairs were made) as a result of the surgery, so they’ve got him on a ventilator to help him breathe easier until the swelling subsides.  He’s in the the Pediatric ICU, and probably will be through Friday and more than likely into Saturday.  Right now, there’s not much we can do for him, other than wait until they take him off of the ventilator because they keep him pretty sedated while he’s on it.  He’s resting pretty comfortably, which is more than can be said for mom and dad.  We’re holding up pretty well, because we know he’s in great hands.  The people at the hospital have been great, so that’s helped us deal with all of this a lot better.  We also know we’ve got a lot of friends to call on if needed, which is more comforting than you will ever know.

I’ll try to keep information flowing a little more frequently, but understand that you may not hear anything from me for a day or two.  Nothing to worry about, just got a lot going on (as you can imagine).  Keep the little man in your thoughts, and I’ll send an update in a day or so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s